



## Steering Committee Meeting September 14th, 2023

### **Meeting Resources:**

[Presentation](#)

[Meeting Recording](#)

- **Passcode: sA4Df.+S**

[Meeting Summary Notes](#)

[Actionable Items](#)

[Chat Transcript](#)

[Meeting Transcript](#)

---

### **Meeting Summary Notes**

#### **Introduction:**

Charles Johnson, the program director for CERF at LAEDC, welcomes everyone. The agenda includes discussing the structure of the committee, establishing reps for chairs and vice chairs, and other topics such as attendance guidelines, bylaws, and programmatic updates.

#### **Chair-Vice Chairs:**

Participants expressed an agreement and offered suggestions to keep the composition simple by having one chair and two vice chairs, all positions will be at large with no specific chair representing a specific industry to ensure advocacy on behalf of the whole membership and the goals of CERF. They discuss how to select these positions through self-nomination and voting. Notes are taken on the responsibilities of chairs/co-chairs such as facilitating meetings, keeping others informed, developing agendas, time commitment etc. which will be used to craft roles/responsibilities before formal nominations take place. Interest was given for the rotation of the chair/vice chairs. The group aims to gather feedback through a Google Doc and finalize the nominations through a submission form. The focus is on ensuring maximum participation from all segments and clarifying roles before nominating and voting in the chairs and vice chairs.

### **Steering Committee By-Laws:**

The conversation also touches upon creating bylaws for the steering committee, including mission statements, attendance requirements, recusal from conflict-of-interest decisions, voting mechanisms, and alternative designated representatives, etc.

### **SPA 7 and Labor Updates:**

There is a conversation of the lack of organizations headquartered in SPA seven that need direct representation on the committee and the HRTC. Members are encouraged to reach out to potential partners who would like to join our HRTC.

Labor negotiations are ongoing and there seems to be progress. The state wants to meet with representatives (chairs) from the steering committee. There are questions about whether other regions have similar labor issues. Specific groups of unionized labor are being discussed as potential participants in the HRTC.

### **Fiscal Agent Updates**

Updates on budget modifications that have been approved by the state and are being processed and updates on payments for affinity hubs and table leads were provided by Jose, the senior compliance and Operations Officer at CCF. He shared that written policies and procedures in regards to not only the CBOs, but the participant's stipends are being worked on.

The meeting concludes with plans for future HRTC partner meetings and a request for information on Orange County CEF's labor representation.

### **Actionable Items**

1. **Establishing the Steering Committee Chairs and Co-Chairs:** The participants discussed the composition of the Steering Committee and the roles of the chairs and vice-chairs. It was suggested to have one chair and two vice chairs. The responsibilities of the chairs and co-chairs were also discussed, including facilitating meetings, and representing the committee. The group agreed to further discuss and finalize the structure, roles, and responsibilities, and a nomination process was proposed through further email communications and a Google doc for feedback and review. A timeline will be provided to the membership on the process of selecting the Chair and Vice Chair by the next SC meeting.

2. **Bylaws for the Steering Committee:** The participants mentioned the importance of establishing bylaws for the Steering Committee. The suggested topics for inclusion in the bylaws were the mission statement, attendance requirements, mandatory participation guidelines, removal procedures, recusal from conflicts of interest, voting mechanisms, and tie-breaking procedures. A Google Doc was shared for participants to provide feedback and suggestions regarding the bylaws. The feedback will be used to draft and finalize a bylaw document for approval.

3. **Representation of SPA Seven:** There was a discussion about the lack of direct representation from SPA Seven and the need for more organizations headquartered in that area to join the committee.

Participants were encouraged to refer organizations that serve the residents of SPA Seven to join the HRTC.

4. **Labor Representation:** The issue of labor representation and discussions with labor unions was also raised. It was mentioned that labor representatives want to meet with specific members of the committee(chairs). Further discussions and coordination with labor unions were suggested to understand their requirements and concerns.

5. **Payment Terms for Affinity Hub Leads:** The Fiscal Agent mentioned that the payment terms and agreements for the affinity hub leads were being worked on. A payment schedule was discussed, and agreements would be finalized to facilitate the issuance of payments. Guidelines will be presented soon.

6. **Research RFPs:** The timeline and process for the Research RFPs were shared. The RFPs were released, and the submission deadline had passed. The review and scoring process was scheduled, and notifications of award letters are planned to be sent out.

7. **Sharing Budget Modifications:** Participants requested that proposed budget modifications be shared with the HRTC and the steering committee. It was mentioned that the information will be made available once it is cleared by the state.

#### Chat Transcript

00:09:36 Linda Kelly, FMWC: My Apology can you resend the Agenda.

00:10:35 J Zellet: This is Jennifer Zellet on the phone. Apologies for phoning in

00:10:55 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Libby Williams, VSEDC

00:11:21 Rita Kampalath (she/her), LA County Chief Sustainability Office: Rita Kampalath, LA County Chief Sustainability Office

00:11:29 Shaun Randolph; CCF: Shaun Randolph, CCF

00:11:31 Kevin Harbour: Kevin Harbour - Bizfed Institute

00:11:35 Bobby Davis: Bobby Lee Davis III - Dylette Family Foundation, either name is fine but I tend to go by "Lee" in case you ever see that in my name on here

00:11:36 Linda Kelly, FMWC: Linda Kelly, Fathers and Mothers Who Care

00:11:37 Sharon Evans,:Sharon Evans, Business Resource Group

00:11:37 Jessica Quintana: Hello Everyone Jessica Quintana Centro CHA - Long Beach

00:11:43 Ricardo Mendoza: Ricardo Mendoza, Coalition for Responsible Community Development "CRCD"

00:11:46 Zahirah Mann: Zahirah Mann, SLATE-Z

00:11:46 Sejal Patel: Sejal Patel, Rising Communities, South LA/LA County

00:11:47 Cheyanne Capelo (She/Her), Lost Angels Children's Project: Cheyanne Capelo, Lost Angels Children's Project

00:11:54 Drew Mercy, AV EDGE: Drew Mercy, Antelope Valley Economic Development & Growth Enterprise (AV EDGE)

00:12:06 kevin clark: Kevin Clark, Dakar Foundation For The Performing Arts

00:12:08 Andrea Slater (She/her): Andrea Slater  
UCLA & UCLA Labor Center

00:12:14 J Zellet: Jennifer Zellet, Antelope Valley College

00:12:25 Dr. Narineh Makijan, Los Angeles Regional Consortium (LARC): Dr. Narineh Makijan, Chair/Assistant Vice President, Los Angeles Regional Consortium (LARC)

00:12:54 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Stella Ursua - GRID Alternatives Greater Los Angeles

00:13:14 Hyepin Im: Hyepin Im, Faith and Community Empowerment

00:13:17 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: Benjamin Torres, CDTech South Central Los Angeles

00:13:26 Rudy: Rudy, Inclusive Action


00:16:31 Sharon Evans,: what about the resident SC members

00:16:33 Jessica Quintana: Agreed

00:16:52 Brady Collins: Hi folks, sorry I'm late.

00:17:26 Kevin Harbour: I agree Stella

00:17:28 Bobby Davis: yes the expectation was going to be my comment, agree with Stella

00:17:47 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Reacted to "what about the resi..." with 

00:18:07 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Reacted to "yes the expectation ..." with 

00:18:19 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Good point Sharon!

00:18:27 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: Duties and Functions should be clearly defined before we consider nominations or self nominations

00:18:36 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: Residents


00:19:49 Scarlet Peralta: We can include the duties within the google submission form, prior to folks self nominating themselves. Please provide your feedback on what duties you all envision for these roles please.

00:19:53 Sejal Patel: How soon are we expecting to have the chairs in place? It would be great to do introductions and get to know each other a bit before making this decision if possible.

00:20:40 Sharon Evans,: Stephen told me that he was advancing those discussions with labor on behalf of the HRTC

00:20:43 Scarlet Peralta: Replying to "How soon are we expe..."

We'd like this to be established by the next steering committee meeting.

00:20:52 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Reacted to "Stephen told me that..." with 

00:21:07 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Thanks for that Rudy.

00:21:37 Sharon Evans,: I would like us to vet out the duties and clarify roles today and move forward for consideration of individuals at a later time

00:21:43 Chioma Agbahiwe: Replying to "Hi folks, sorry I'm ..."

Hello Brady, Please add your name and organization to the chat at the beginning of each meeting for attending taking purposes. Thanks.

00:22:13 Rudy: Team, in the descriptions of the roles, I think we should also consider how someone would be relieved of that duty.

00:22:35 Ricardo Mendoza: Reacted to "Team, in the descr..." with 

00:22:48 Sharon Evans,: Can you please open up a Jam board for recommendations from SC members roles, duties and structure of sub committees

00:22:49 Rudy: I've been in situations where an executive officer wasn't fulfilling their role and they had to be asked to make space for someone else.

00:23:06 Rudy: Very important @Kevin Harbour !

00:23:14 Sejal Patel: I appreciate this suggestion on chair/co-chair LAEDC and understanding of roles, thank you.

00:23:43 Hyepin Im: Reacted to "Team, in the descrip..." with 👍

00:23:59 Hyepin Im: We should also consider terms as well

00:24:04 Rudy: Reacted to "We should also consi..." with 👍

00:24:06 Kevin Harbour: 1 Chair and 2 Vice Chairs

00:24:09 Alan Cheam: Replying to "Can you please open ..."

We are collecting written feedback through this chat, thank you!

00:24:50 Scarlet Peralta: Replying to "I've been in situati..."

Yes, we will take feedback on these to include in the bylaws in the next section.

00:25:10 Ricardo Mendoza: Reacted to "We should also con..." with 👍

00:25:25 Sharon Evans,: perhaps a google doc>

00:25:31 JNajera: Jose Najera, Sr. Compliance Officer, CCF

00:25:35 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Reacted to "perhaps a google doc..." with 👍

00:26:02 Sejal Patel: Wondering how we can be inclusive of residents voice in the Chair structure however...to Sharon's point. Residents have 2 seats on the Steering Comm in total, is that right?

00:26:20 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Vice chairs

00:26:35 Cheyanne Capelo (She/Her), Lost Angels Children's Project: Reacted to "We can include the d..." with 👍

00:26:47 Sharon Evans,: @SP - Actually Residents have 5 seats on the Steering committee

00:27:08 Libby Williams, VSEDC: 57\2]

00:27:10 Cheyanne Capelo (She/Her), Lost Angels Children's Project: Reacted to "1 Chair and 2 Vice C..." with 👍

00:27:55 Rudy: What if we had 3 vice chairs...so we can include a resident voice? This makes an "executive committee" of 4.

00:28:14 Sejal Patel: Reacted to "What if we had 3 vic..." with 👍

00:28:15 Chioma Agbahiwe: Replying to "Wondering how we can..."

There are 5 Resident Seats.

00:28:24 Ricardo Mendoza: What about having CBO orgs serve as Chair given scopes of services and connection to needs of residents. Vice Chairs served by Labor and Business.

00:28:34 Ricardo Mendoza: Reacted to "What if we had 3 v..." with 👍

00:29:27 Sharon Evans,: where does municipal and academia fit in

00:30:33 Rudy: Helpful reminder Charles!

00:30:39 Rudy: i.e. we have some flexibility

00:30:45 Dr. Narineh Makijan, Los Angeles Regional Consortium (LARC): Thank you Sharon, that was my questions as well. How about academia?

00:30:57 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Sorry y'all, I dropped my laptop and my fingers swiped the keys on the way down. 57/2 means absolutely nothing 😊

00:31:07 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "Sorry y'all, I dropp..." with 😊

00:31:08 Scarlet Peralta: Reacted to "Sorry y'all, I dropp..." with 😊

00:31:12 Sharon Evans,: I do believe we do have to rely on the proposal as the clauses from the proposal was transferred into the contract. We have not approved any amendments

00:31:12 Hyepin Im: Reacted to "Sorry y'all, I dropp..." with 😊

00:32:42 Rita Kampalath (she/her), LA County Chief Sustainability Office: Replying to "where does municipal..."

I had the same question - there are more than 4 sectors represented in the steering committee.

00:32:49 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: we may need to also understand the proportionality of slots - for example having a rep from academic institutions as a Chair when we only have 1 seems a bit challenging.

00:34:33 Rudy: Lets change the mix!

00:34:47 Sejal's iPhone: Agree it should be based on proportionality.

00:34:55 Rudy: We could also create terms that give various folks an opportunity

00:34:58 Rudy: Term limits\*

00:35:14 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: getting it right is more important

00:35:48 Sharon Evans,: I agree... getting it right is more important that rushing it

00:36:14 Sejal's iPhone: Is there a reason we need this in place by our next steering committee mtg?

00:36:56 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Zahirah has her hand up

00:37:00 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: We have the right people at the table

00:37:35 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: The issue is who leads the table in a chair role

00:37:48 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: zahirah has her hand up

00:37:51 Sharon Evans,: @ Ben, I agree

00:38:12 Dr. Jennifer Zellet (she, her, ella): Part of the conversation at the moment is understanding the responsibility of the individual or resident role. I'm on this committee as a resident, but I am also deeply involved in Higher Education

00:38:22 Scarlet Peralta: Replying to "Is there a reason we..."

CERF has many pending items to discuss and take action on, we would like the Steering Committee to begin addressing these items as we are constrained with a timeline.

00:38:26 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: That's our role

00:38:36 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: to figure it out Robert

00:38:40 Sharon Evans,: I agree, Robert we have elected our steering committee and the seats are filled



00:38:49 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: and we should all continue our engagement efforts to bring more representation for all Affinity Groups to ensure there is equitable representation.

00:39:05 Sejal's iPhone: Reacted to "I agree, Robert we h..." with 👍

00:39:12 Jessica Quintana: residents create job pathways and jobs through their voice and advocacy

00:39:38 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTEch: The role of the steering comm. is to figure out how we work with the broader community to create the pipelines and pathways into careers in an equitable manner

00:40:06 Bobby Davis: Absolutely

00:40:17 Rita Kampalath (she/her), LA County Chief Sustainability Office: Great point Zahirah

00:40:30 Jessica Quintana: Yes Ben!! The role of the steering comm. is to figure out how we work with the broader community to create the pipelines and pathways into careers in an equitable manner

00:40:53 Sharon Evans,: Zariah is on point.. however, there are other concerns about scope of duties

00:40:56 Ricardo Mendoza: Agree with Zahirah.

00:41:14 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTEch: Maybe we should consider the functions of these positions as oppose to representing these different sectors

00:41:38 Rita Kampalath (she/her), LA County Chief Sustainability Office: Same - I think I'm struggling with the designated sectors that would leave out some of the representatives from being eligible to serve

00:42:03 Sharon Evans,: Why is there a rush to have this structure finalized by next meeting

00:42:50 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTEch: You need someone that will run the meetings and interface with LAEDC and CCF staff. You need another person who can maybe handle the internal dynamics of the HRTC members. You need another person who can handle external issues, county, state and other networks.

00:43:12 Sharon Evans,: Compiling the feedback on what we want our leadership roles will take on is paramount

00:43:38 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Reacted to "You need someone tha..." with 👍

00:43:44 Rudy: Reacted to "You need someone tha..." with 👍

00:43:47 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTEch: I think 3 folks is enough

00:43:54 Rudy: Reacted to "I think 3 folks is e..." with 👍

00:43:55 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: with 1 year terms

00:44:07 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: I was thinking the same thing Kevin!

00:44:08 Zahirah Mann: Reacted to "with 1 year terms" with 👍

00:44:09 Rudy: Perhaps with an opportunity to renew for an additional 1 year

00:44:15 Dr. Jennifer Zellet (she, her, ella): Replying to "I think 3 folks is e..."

Agreed...too many layers of bureaucracy is crippling

00:44:21 Rudy: Reacted to "with 1 year terms" with 👍

00:44:23 Sharon Evans,: Trust is a major consideration that is still on the table

00:44:28 Dr. Jennifer Zellet (she, her, ella): Reacted to "Trust is a major con..." with 👍

00:44:49 Ricardo Mendoza: Reacted to "Perhaps with an op..." with 👍

00:45:27 Sharon Evans,: I would like us to turn the chairmanship over 3 times in the 18 month planning term. 6 months each

00:45:56 Linda Kelly, FMWC: I am with Kevin If we make this all to complicated. Then the true work will not get done. But whatever is vote for I will follow

00:46:04 Libby Williams, VSEDC: I honestly don't feel we need to have the Chair and Co-chairs selected based on the group they represent. Let's just agree we have a chair two vice-chairs. People self nominate, we vote and then we move forward. We can also rotate the chair as Rudy and Benny suggested.

00:46:16 Rudy: Reacted to "I honestly don't fee..." with 👍

00:46:20 Zahirah Mann: Sounds like a chair and two vice-chairs, with a 1 year team (with possibility for renewal), the chair and vice-chair represent the full group. The three must work to facilitate and plan the meetings.

00:46:28 Rudy: Reacted to "Sounds like a chair ..." with 👍

00:46:30 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Reacted to "I honestly don't fee..." with 👍

00:46:37 Ricardo Mendoza: Reacted to "Sounds like a chai..." with 👍

00:46:38 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: yes

00:46:49 Bobby Davis: agree

00:46:53 Zahirah Mann: Agree

00:46:57 Rita Kampalath (she/her), LA County Chief Sustainability Office: Reacted to "Sounds like a chair ..." with 👍

00:47:01 Ricardo Mendoza: One Chair, 2-Vice Chairs - One Year Term and up to one year renewal.

00:47:51 Dr. Narineh Makijan, Los Angeles Regional Consortium (LARC): Reacted to "Sounds like a chair ..." with 👍

00:49:04 Sharon Evans,: Thank you . I would be in favor of 72 hour notice

00:49:54 Scarlet Peralta:

[https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g78fsX3vtHIA\\_Yx7f-mKP9J7Jv3Txu8sCI-7Q58bTcY/edit?usp=sharing](https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g78fsX3vtHIA_Yx7f-mKP9J7Jv3Txu8sCI-7Q58bTcY/edit?usp=sharing)

00:51:09 Alan Cheam: Replying to "https://docs.google...."

Please insert your feedback for the Steering Committee bylaws! ^

00:51:24 Scarlet Peralta:

[https://24053461.fs1.hubspotusercontent-na1.net/hubfs/24053461/CERF%20Southern%20Border%20Coalition%20Bylaws%20\(Approved\)%206.22.203.pdf](https://24053461.fs1.hubspotusercontent-na1.net/hubfs/24053461/CERF%20Southern%20Border%20Coalition%20Bylaws%20(Approved)%206.22.203.pdf)

00:51:37 Sharon Evans,: Did'nt Orange County also come up with a good set of bylaws? Can you shar those as well

00:51:47 Scarlet Peralta: Replying to "https://24053461.fs1..."

Southern Border HRTC Bylaws

00:52:24 Sharon Evans,: Don't we have a similar gap in SPA 5

00:52:45 Ricardo Mendoza: MAOF

00:52:53 Scarlet Peralta: Reacted to "MAOF" with 👍

00:52:54 Luis Portillo (SGVEP): What's spa 7?

00:53:02 Alan Cheam: Replying to "What's spa 7?"

East

00:53:04 Rudy: Team, I have to sign off prematurely, but it feels like we're on track! Good decisions on chair/vice-chair!

00:53:13 Scarlet Peralta: Replying to "What's spa 7?"

East LA

00:53:21 Scarlet Peralta: Reacted to "Team, I have to sign..." with 👍

00:53:23 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "Team, I have to sign..." with ❤️

00:53:27 Zahirah Mann: Reacted to "Team, I have to sign..." with 👍

00:53:31 Ricardo Mendoza: What's spa 7?

Artesia, Bell, Bellflower, Bell Gardens, Cerritos, City of Commerce, City Terrace, Cudahy, Downey, East Los Angeles, Hawaiian Gardens, Huntington Park, La Habra Heights, Lakewood, La Mirada, Los Nietos, Maywood, Montebello, Norwalk, Pico Rivera, Santa Fe Springs, Signal Hill, South Gate, Vernon, Walnut Park, Whittier, and others.

00:53:56 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Meet with reps to have a discussion about how and if they will return?

00:56:41 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Are we the only region having problems with Labor joining the HRTC?

00:57:18 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: Great question Libby

00:57:42 Matt Horton: make labor the chair...

00:58:36 kevin clark: How does does one submit themselves for the subcommittee to qualify to talk with labor?

00:58:50 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: can you identify who from Labor we need to meet with or talk too?

00:59:27 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: agree

00:59:55 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: follow the hand raising

00:59:57 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: please

01:00:12 Scarlet Peralta: Flagging we have 5 mins left.

01:00:19 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "Flagging we have 5 m..." with 👍

01:01:58 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: LA County Federation of Labor

01:02:12 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: Building Trades

01:02:15 Libby Williams, VSEDC: I don't every recalling us as a group identifying unionized labor as the only labor rep. In fact quite the opposite.

01:02:38 Zahirah Mann: Libby, I think you are right.

01:03:25 Andrea Slater (She/her): I have to get to a 2pm meeting.

01:03:27 Kevin Harbour: What are the payment terms?

01:03:30 Linda Kelly, FMWC: Labor is so much more the unions but I do understand that they play a big part in our make up also

01:04:47 Sharon Evans,: @ CCF.. can you please share the proposed budget modifications with the HRTC and the SC

01:05:33 Kevin Harbour: Can you give us an idea or do we have to accept the terms without input?

01:06:15 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "Can you give us an i..." with ❤️

01:06:36 Dr. Jennifer Zellet (she, her, ella): Thank you for great conversation. I also have a hard stop at 2.

01:06:41 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "Thank you for great ..." with 👍

01:06:44 Libby Williams, VSEDC: NOPE! I'm tired of catering to them with no results to date

01:07:03 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: See you all

01:07:34 Benjamin Torres, (he/him) CDTech: Good seeing you all looking forward to working with you all to move this work forward.

01:07:35 Libby Williams, VSEDC: Agreed Zahirah

01:07:59 Sharon Evans,: NO. I do not agree with Table Partner leads being designated for Labor. We already made accommodations for Labor by adding 5 seats for unionized labor based on their request.

01:09:47 Zahirah Mann: I need to step out to another meeting. Thank you for the discussion.

01:10:55 Ricardo Mendoza: I have to leave for another meeting. Thank you everyone for the engaging conversation. Looking forward to moving this forward jointly

01:11:00 Hyepin Im: have to excuse myself for another meeting

01:11:17 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "I need to step out t..." with 👍

01:11:18 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "I have to leave for ..." with 👍

01:11:20 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "have to excuse mysel..." with 👍

01:12:13 Dr. Narineh Makijan, Los Angeles Regional Consortium (LARC): I need to leave for another meeting. Have a great afternoon!

01:12:18 Alan Cheam: Reacted to "I need to leave for ..." with 👍

01:12:21 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Everyone will have opportunities to share their feedback/concerns at Affinity Group meetings.

01:12:30 Bobby Davis: Reacted to "Everyone will have o..." with 👍

01:13:03 Stella Ursua (She/Her) GRID Alternatives LA: Thank you Scarlet! Thanks Charles and the LAEDC Team!

01:13:48 Chioma Agbahiwe: <https://ocbc.org/cerf/>

01:14:21 Cheyanne Capelo (She/Her), Lost Angels Children's Project: Thank you all - I appreciate you!

## Meeting Transcript

**05:27**

Hello everyone. Good afternoon, Kevin.

**05:34**

Hey everyone.

**05:40**

Hello. All right, we're at 01:00 give a moment for everyone to join the meeting. Affinity leads and steering committee. I will give it another minute or so before we get started on this first meeting. Deal.

**07:13**

Hi, was there an agenda sent with this so I can follow.

**07:19**

Right there. Hi Linda. Yes, we did send an email reminder about this meeting and it included this exact slide that you see on the screen here. Okay. Welcome everyone. Thank you for being here. As you probably know, I'm Charles Johnson, the program director for CERF at LADC. We're the regional convener. And you guys are here mostly because you are now steering committee members and maybe affinity leads as well. So we're trying to figure out exactly how to move forward if that's what you guys are here for, steering committee members. So we put together an agenda here that some areas that need to be covered and we'll figure this out as we go along, how many people we got on the call. Maybe we can do some intros, but that may eat up some time. Yeah. Starting to get big here. So we'll reserve the intros for now just to preserve time.

**08:35**

We're going to kind of work out a meeting structure. We're going to go over how to maybe process for establishing some reps for the steering committee chairs, co chairs discussion about Bylaws that should be put in place. Some information about Spa seven have a slight discussion about the table partner leads and we'll have our fiscal agent, CCF give an update and figure out everything else going forward. So Alan, if you don't mind, going to the next slide. Okay, so just in case, just recapping, we know that there's twelve affinity hub leads. They've all been identified at this point, there's 26 steering committee members. In addition to that, we know that there's an issue with labor. We can discuss that later on. Where six seats are reserved for the unionized labor and fiscal age and CCF and LADC regional convener, we are two non voting seats.

**09:59**

So we like to suggest LADC, the CERF team. We like to suggest that these meetings really go obviously 1 hour, but leave the last 15 minutes for the co chairs to have any discussions amongst themselves. We understand we want to respect everybody's time, but we also know that you guys are very busy and so you may not be able to find a way to schedule just to have discussions amongst yourselves. So we like to try to leave these last 15 minutes for you guys. But regardless, this is up for you guys for discussion. So just kind of keep this all in back of your mind as we move forward. As you know that the attendance will be recorded in all of the meetings. And actually Scarlett, am I speaking for you? Is this supposed to be your slide here?

**10:52**

Yeah, I can go ahead and why.

**10:54**

Don'T you go ahead and finish up here before I mess something up.

**10:57**

Go right ahead, no worries. You're good. So yes, we do want to go ahead and make sure that we have record of everyone's attendance. With the establishment of our bylaws, we will be having the HRT discuss

how to go about specifically the guidelines for attendance. But for our records we are asking if you can please in the chat, just go ahead and write your name as well as the organization that you represent. Our meeting structure will be biweekly every second and fourth Thursday from one to 02:00 p.m.. We have sent out calendar invites to everyone. If you can please check your inbox. If not, just email us at CERF@laedc.org and we will go ahead and resend you that invite. We are having 1 hour meetings and so we do want to be sensitive with the time that we have to ensure that there is a lot of productive discussions as well as productive action items that come through these meetings.

**11:55**

All meetings will be recorded, they will be transcribed and they will be published under our website, under our Steering Committee page. On that page you will find all our Steering Committee members, you will find information about the Steering Committee, its composition, as well as other information such as the current commitments that are expected of all our HRTC members which were also included in the application. And under that Steering Committee page you will find all resources as we move forward through our meetings. Thank you. So up next, we do want to open it up for discussion in regards to what the composition of the Steering Committee should be and how this would look like. In regards to having chair and co chairs. In our past subcommittees that we had for outreach and engagement, research and governance, we did have chairs and co chairs that help work with the convener to have these meetings prepared, have agendas prepared as well as facilitating these meetings.

**13:04**

So we did want to open it up for discussion in regards to how this will look like for the Steering Committee. We do have some suggestions that we are making such as having one chair and having two co chairs as well as specific designated roles among the recommended chairs. So for example, having a business chair, a labor chair and a CBO chair, as well as how these chairs should be selected. We are recommending that members can nominate themselves so we can have a Nominating period. We can open up just a simple nomination application where they submit their information to us and then we can create a poll that goes out through email to the Steering Committee membership to have everyone vote in their chair and their respective co chairs. And we also would like a discussion in regards to just specifically outlining the duties and expectations of our chair and co chairs.

**14:07**

So this is really a discussion among our Steering committee members. We do want to make sure that we have some guidelines at the end of this meeting specifically for this item. So what I will do is I will go ahead and allow you all to please chime in, give us direction, we'll take your feedback, but we are providing some recommendations for your consideration.

**14:34**

If I can add to that really quickly, just to keep in mind for you guys, this will not be like the election for the affinity hubs and for the Steering Committee. This will only be by poll. This will not be by a full taking a week and that entire process that we did five different times, this would be just a whole you guys



can work out what method works best for you. Laadc, we're here to help you out in any way you need SurveyMonkey, to do your polls, all those kind of things, we can help out with that. But at the end of the day, this is in your hands to come up with a simple way to choose. Yeah.

**15:17**

And if the essence of time, if we can have maybe a ten minute or so discussion on this, I am encouraging our members to either raise their hand or go off mute and give your input in regards to how to move forward specifically with this item. And we have Mr. Harvard, you can go ahead and participate.

**15:38**

First of all, first time laid eyes on it. To me this makes sense because in order to be productive, it's good to have a chair with a chair reflecting the wishes of the committee in terms of their leadership and discussion and whatever direction they are going to lead in having business, labor and CBO seems to be appropriate. And having co chairs, I think is maybe even a better idea because we also have other responsibilities and that would help maximize the chances of there not being any meeting conflicts. So those are just my comments. Thank you.

**16:31**

Thank you so much, Kevin. And we have Stella, who's also raising her hand. Yeah, thank you, Scarlett, and nice to see everyone again. And I agree with Kevin. Let's keep it simple, make it as quick as possible. I like the one chair co chairs idea, and I would just suggest that however we go about the voting process or the selection process, that there be a description of what the chair's role is and the co chairs maybe perhaps even like approximate hours that we're expecting from these individuals to serve in this role. And yeah, I think just to be as clear as possible and let's do this as quickly as we can. Thank you. Yeah, thank you so much, Stella. And for those that want to also chime in the chat box, we will be looking at that. So if you have any recommendations or specifically wanting to specify duties that should be expected of our chairs and co chairs please drop those in the chat so we can go ahead and include them as we move forward with the process we do have.

**17:40**

Sharon. Sharon, if you'd like to go ahead and share your thoughts. I kind of agree with everyone. However, I do have two questions. One, I think it's important to define the duties and functions before you select the individuals your go about that really have some buy in terms of what those respective duties are. First. And secondly, we also have with the ministering committee residents that are not intended to represent organizations, but how do and I think we need to dialogue about what role they will play. The current structure, recommended structure, doesn't seem to incorporate them.

**18:24**

I'm sorry, Sharon, it was a little choppy. Can you repeat which organizations? Sure.

**18:29**

It's not organizations. We have, within our steering committee structure both representatives of obviously, business and government. We have CBOs, but we have labor. But we also set aside five seats for residents. And the current recommendation on the table does not appear to include them or make clear where they would fit.

**18:57**

Well, this is where you guys, as steering committee members, will work those things out. But whatever decisions you make, keep in mind that they will be the eyes and ears for these talks with labor, with the state. And just please keep that in mind.

**19:26**

What do you mean by that in terms of the eyes and ears about the state conversation with labor? I had talked with Stephen about that. I don't understand the roles of these steering co chairs. Can you explain that a little bit?

**19:39**

Okay, so if you're having a discussion if the steering committee is having a discussion with labor, not all 32 people at this point, 32 people are going to be at that table. It'll just be the representatives. Charles, I just offered. Hey, everybody, my name is Rudy. Charles, that's a great function to put in the descriptions for these roles, right? So that they would be our representative in bigger meetings. I think that's something for us to consider. Another thing that I think about in other roles where there's a chair or a co chair is that the chair is helping to facilitate the meetings. They're probably taking meetings with members offline. Like there's some of us that are missing here today, for example. So they're probably making sure that everybody's caught up on the latest. That's probably another responsibility of a chair or co chair. The co chair is also team.

**20:39**

I don't know if anyone's taking notes here. Are probably also keeping track of the notes. Maybe the co chairs are also filling in for the chair. If the chair is missing or can't make a meeting. I'm just kind of listing out some of the responsibilities before we talk about people that might fill those.

**20:58**

Yes, great. Great point, Rudy. And just to kind of clarify, we will not be choosing today our chairs and co chairs. What we're doing is we're receiving notes and feedback. And what I am going to be doing is I'm going to be crafting kind of the roles and responsibilities for your feedback in regards to these specific chairs and co chairs. We will create like a submission Google submission form. If you want to self nominate, you'll have the commitments, you'll include your basic information from there. Once that self nomination period, which we expect it to be very short because we do want to have these co chairs in

place by the next meeting. We will basically just send out an email with the SurveyMonkey and all the nominees for their chair categories and we'll give you all a timeline of the voting process through the poll on SurveyMonkey to then establish who your preference are for these specific chairs.

**21:57**

So for today, we won't necessarily be choosing anyone. We just do want to get your feedback in regards to moving this process forward. And Mr. Harbor, you have your hand raised, please.

**22:11**

Kevin mr. Harbor makes me feel old.

**22:15**

Kevin thank you.

**22:16**

No. Scarlett, to one point we say chair, two co chairs. Are we talking chair or two co chairs or chair and two co chairs?

**22:36**

I'm assuming it's or our recommendation is one chair and then two co chairs. But it really is up to this committee to decide the configuration of these specific seats or these specific roles.

**22:50**

So is it a chair or vice chairs?

**22:54**

Yes, I would say like one chair.

**22:56**

And two vice chairs for just, you know, the semantics. I just want to get that straight. And then to Sharon and others and Stellas, I believe in the chat's point, you got to know what you're signing up to, folks. So we probably need to define roles and responsibilities and all that good stuff. That's all.

**23:17**

Yeah, absolutely. We're going to be using this chat and we will be creating a Google Doc from all the suggestions that are being provided. So again, we encourage everyone to please in the chat, go ahead and write your specific preferences when it comes to what these roles responsibilities will be for our chair and

vice chairs and also how you all would like this configuration to be. I would say for today, it would be good to get a configuration. So if you guys want one chair, two vice chairs, and then as well as the different types of chairs, whether it's business, labor workers, so that we can move this forward with an application type of process. And when I say application, it's more of just submitting your self nomination form so then that we can create a poll out of these names. Sharon, although I do understand your logic and thinking, I would actually think differently on that.

**24:20**

Coming up with the structure, I think the structure is conditioned upon the responsibilities and how you structure it, how do you spread it amongst the required duties or the obligations or the frequency of need. So I think we need to kind of I would like to see us have a little bit of opportunity to chime in on that, both verbally in this 1 hour session as well as through maybe a jam board. Where we put forth our recommendations and everybody can speak up and then be able to look at that and have an effective dialogue on structure that meets what those recommendations are. Thank you Sharon, for your feedback. The limiting part about the jamboard is Jamboards don't allow you to fully submit everything that you want to write. It's constricted to a few characters, and that doesn't allow people to fully put in their thoughts.

**25:19**

So the chat allows us to just write as much as we want and fully capture what we're trying to give in regards to feedback. So we find this a little bit more easier as it's not constraining our members in regards to the feedback they want to provide. We do have Jessica. Jessica, if you'd like to share your thoughts. Absolutely. Hi Scarlett. Hi everybody. Just point of clarification. So are we proposing to have one chair and two co chairs per each representation of Business, labor and CBO? Are we having one chair per the steering committee? Yes, our recommendation is one chair and two co chairs per the steering committee as a whole. But again, this is all up to the preference of the steering committee to delivery and come to that as a whole. So not representing each of the special areas like Business, labor and CBO?

**26:22**

No, simply because we do want to make sure that we keep this as concise in order to be able to help facilitate the meetings. Again, you all will decide what roles they should take. But these steering committees or the chairs and co chairs are envisioned, their roles are envisioned to help facilitate these meetings, help basically grab your feedback and really kind of take LAEDC out of not necessarily the picture, but allowing you all to work with the co chairs to come to consensus on items. Again, this is all up to your guys'discretion. This is just simply a recommendation to allow us to establish these chairs and co chairs by the next meeting. Yes, I understand. So definitely we need a process of input what the role and responsibility of the chair is and then what's the role and responsibility of the two co chairs. And in the event, if the chair is not there, what is the responsibility of the co chair?

**27:26**

And then also in our next section, we will be talking about or getting feedback on the establishment of

bylaws. And that's a little bit more specific in regards to just the membership as a whole when it comes to attendance, removal duties and so forth. But for now, this specific slide, we do want to just get your feedback in regards to the establishment of the chair and co chairs. What we can do is we can gather all this feedback. We can write up a Google Doc. We can share it with you all. If you guys would like to make any suggestions, have that finalized. Create a submission form where people will self nominate. They'll have all the requirements that have come forth through this meeting. Once we get the list of folks that have self nominated, we can then open up a poll where you all can basically vote for your chairs and co chairs.

**28:16**

We would like to have this established by the next hearing committee meeting, which is on the 20 Eighth, so that those members can begin taking on their roles and helping to facilitate these meetings and moving a lot of the actionable items that we have pending forward. Okay. I think there was a recommendation by Rudy that opening it up to three co chairs. So then that way all the groups are.

**28:46**

Know just to take Mr. Harbor's suggestion. I think we should start calling them vice chairs just to be on the same wavelength then, because I was getting confused with co chairs.

**28:57**

Jessica yeah. And I like vice chairs. That sounds better.

**29:00**

Yeah. So I'm going to jump in because I have my hands up. So my recommendation will be that since we have four segments designated and we have to look at what we told the state we're going to do, because those are our guiding documents right now. Until we have our own bylaws, you should have four vice chairs. Of those vice chairs, one person is elected to be the chair, and it should rotate maybe for the year or maybe a certain amount of cycle so that there's an opportunity for every one of those vice chairs to play a chair role. But those chair or vice chairs are a representation of the four segments that we've identified business, labor, CBOs, and residents. I think that makes it less confusing. It's shared governance. Once we clarify what the roles are of both the chair on a regular basis and then the other three vice chairs or co chairs, whatever you want to call them.

**29:54**

That way we have maximum participation of all segments, and it's very clear who's responsible for running the meetings, at least in a rotation kind of cycle, so that everybody feels that their voice is somewhat, at some point, represented over the course of the three year process. Hey, I want to caution you guys about referring back to the proposal from way back. There's been a lot of changes since then. The state has been extremely flexible and how it goes, so you don't have to rely on that. Ultimately, you guys will be making the decisions on what you feel works best for you. But I just want to caution against

leaning back onto something that the state is not even recognizing anymore. Well, what I meant is, whatever were the parameters that are set with the function with the state that flexibility is great, but there is some guidance in terms of what we're supposed to follow, at least initially, based on not only what was proposed and what was adjusted, but also the HRTC process.

**31:00**

Okay, I see what you're saying, but there are no mandates for how many members. Yeah, no, I meant more in terms of what we're supposed to do for the work. Yeah. Not the membership. Okay.

**31:13**

Thank you.

**31:14**

Ben.

**31:14**

I think we have no. Okay, so we still have various items to go through. So I believe we have Luis. But if we can come to a consensus, at least in regards to the number of co chairs as well as the representation in that chair, that would help us then gather this information, create a document with all the listed recommendations for your review prior to having a submission nomination form.

**31:48**

Real fast. And keep in mind that's what the Google Doc is for you guys to place your thoughts there so we don't have to try to finalize everything on this call. There are other things that we do need to get to, so let's make sure that we try to move forward with it. But, Luis, why don't you go ahead and say which only mind. Yeah. I apologize if I missed it, but in case it hasn't been outlined, can we put together some kind of requirements of how many meetings somebody could miss if they're a chair or vice chair that's dealing with the bylaws? Yeah. I don't mean to cut you off, Louise, but I don't want to go into something else that may eat up some time. So that's dealing with the bylaws. Right now, we just want to talk about how you guys choose the co chairs, and then when we get to the bylaws, you guys will have that opportunity to create okay.

**32:42**

Okay. If you guys don't mind lowering your hands, and then we can just move forward.

**32:47**

Charles? I think we just do would like direction, though, in regards to the number of chairs and their respective themes. This will allow us to then create the document first for self nomination. I put a

question into the chat about academia and municipality, and it wasn't addressed. It really is on the preference of the steering committee to make these decisions. So if you guys can come to a consensus on that, we can take direction.

**33:26**

Well, the issue, Sharon, is the proportionality of slots. Right. So we have a lot of slots for nonprofits, fewer for residents, and even only, I believe, one for academic institutions. I don't know if that warrants having the chair to represent academic vice chair to sit on the HRTC with only one participating entity.

**33:54**

We have two on government. We have two on government, correct. So just looking at the structure hi, everyone. This is Rita. I'm with the county of La. Chief Sustainability office. Yeah, I had the kind of the same question because we're talking about a business chair. There's only one seat for business. There's one seat for business, one for municipal and one for education. The largest number of seats are for labor CBOs residents and affinity hub leads. Obviously that's twelve. So just wondering how that's going to factor into all of this. I think we may need to give ourselves a week to kind of explore different options. And that's what I'm really thinking, that we come up with these recommendations, that they be along these lines, but that may not be the best option. And I don't know if we want to take up the whole meeting.

**34:51**

I think we might want to give the members an opportunity to chime in on alternative structures via Google Doc.

**34:59**

Guys, I have to caution you against time to keep in mind the goals and objectives of what we're here for. This is to create jobs for people in disinvest communities, whatever three or four or five areas you think would best represent the entire steering committee. Everyone is represented. It's just who's going to be the voice if we're talking about creating jobs? This is why LADC, the CERF team. The recommendation is one business, one labor, one CBO. Obviously CBOs is representing the vast majority. Charles, if that's the case, then I would argue that Sharon is correct in her assessment. Because what I go back to is if we don't have enough academia and enough business at the table, who are the people that create the jobs? Because residents don't create jobs, right? CBOs create jobs. If that's the case, then the first question I would have is what is the expectation of each seat?

**36:09**

What do they bring to the table? What do we expect from them to reach the goal of jobs creation? And we know that academia and the jobs creation, community or corporate or otherwise, that's where the jobs are going to be created. And if they're underrepresented, then we're not hearing from industry on where the true opportunities are. That concerns me. Hi, Robert. Thank you for that. I'm not saying let me say this

before you say that, Charles. So for me, time is irrelevant if we don't have the right people at the table. What's relevant is we get the right people at the table. Sir, everyone is at the table in this meeting right now is at the table. I don't know that everyone's at the table, Charles. Because if we only have one person from business, that's a concern. We only have one person from academia or none, that's a concern.

**37:09**

That's a completely separate conversation about how many people should have been at this table. But at this table, everyone is represented. At this point, the issue is who will be the voice? Only the voice of everyone at that table. That's what I want you guys to separate. If you wanted more of business people at the table, that ship is sailed. We're past that. This is who will be the voice of everybody at the table at this point. So again, my concern is this. I don't know that the ship has sailed. It may be the ship we want to have sailed. But again, if the right people aren't at the table, if our goal is jobs creation, tell me how residents are going to create jobs. So it's bigger than just the voice is, do we have enough people at the table to be the voice of the right people?

**38:08**

That's my concern. I can't help you with that one right now because we are not going to do any more elections to bring any more business seats to the table. Who is at the table right now is who we have. Who's going to making that decision? I'm sorry, how are we making that decision? How are we drawing that conclusion? We don't want to do it, or.

**38:35**

There'S some metrics I'm sorry, I've had my hand up for a while and respectfully before you spoke, Mr. Salcedo. And I just wonder if it's okay to at some point be able to chime in because I think we're talking about lots of different pieces of information. And I know that we're limited on time today. We all took time from our schedules and probably rearranged things to have this conversation. I know I did. And I would like to weigh in if that's possible.

**39:04**

Please do. But they all lead back to this question.

**39:07**

Yes.

**39:08**

Voice, right?

**39:09**



Yes. And I understand the question quite clearly, so thank know I think that the question is part of a year plus process of how we got here. And so I think that maybe it might be a good offline conversation with Charles to go through the steps of the process, the number of conversations, the votes that took place, the various iterations to kind of reach where we are in terms of the steering committee. It seems like the decision we're making right now in terms of the chairs and vice chairs is the subset of this group that will then have other conversations. And while I appreciate the recommendations, I also appreciate that all chairs are supposed to be speaking on behalf of all of us. And so when they speak on behalf of all of us, they are not representing a single group. They are representing this entire steering committee.

**40:01**

So that's how I see chair roles. And that's very much how I saw the chair roles play out. Even when were doing the governance structure, is that they were still speaking on behalf of everyone and making sure everyone's kind of like voice was heard. Is there a difference of opinion from anyone of what a chair or vice chair should be doing? Because okay, great, there's not a difference of opinion on that. Then the issue of who are the chairs and the vice chairs is something that we can definitely figure out. It sounds like. We're probably talking about three or four, but how can we get to a good decision? And it may be that we'll see who wants to actually run for it and be engaged in that role, knowing what it entails. I think that for a lot of the chairs who even were part of the governance and the outreach and engagement and the data, all of those different pieces, they ended up taking a fair amount of work on.

**41:06**

And so understanding what the role entails, I think, is really critical. I think Benny said that kind of earlier on in the discussion. It's like, let's figure that out and then let's figure out who's even interested to see if we kind of separate it into these different groups or if it's just open. So to be three or four chairs. But I do appreciate, Robert, what you were sharing earlier in terms of concerns, and that might be a great offline conversation with maybe Charles and Scarlett to go through the process of how we got here today. Thank you. Yeah. I mean, another recommendation is just having open chairs, so selecting a number and having not necessarily buy a specific industry, but having anyone apply to those three or four chairs that may be recommended as to not create issues among who represents what industry. That could be another, I think, way of solving this issue, but we would like to at least have some concrete direction so we can move forward with the remainder of the presentation or items that we have.

**42:19**

Rudy.

**42:20**

Rudy, if you can go quickly, who's taking notes? Is someone taking notes for us?

**42:25**

Yes, it's all recorded.

**42:27**

Okay, great. Awesome. Great. I think that a lot of us are asking for sort of a job description for the chair role, and I feel like we're answering that question in real time and based just in riffing off what you hear said that I think is a really important reminder of what a chair is supposed to do. I think that our chair should also be willing to surrender any sort of special interest to make sure that everybody's voices are heard and to help facilitate this meeting. I think that's a big function. So I just want to offer that for the JD that we need to develop, this person has to be willing to put their day job hat aside to make sure that this whole body is represented. Sorry, Kevin, before we move on, your hand up. Yeah. So when we look at the body, we're diverse.

**43:27**

Right. And if we try to have as many vice chairs as there is diverse representation, it's almost like we come up with a junior steering committee. Okay. So looking at my experience working in nonprofits from different interests, I'm thinking that maybe it might make sense to have one chair and two vice chairs, and we're going to have to trust those people in terms of integrity to represent the interests of the group. Because at the end of the day, leadership should always reflect the interests of the group and put aside their own personal interests. If we have all these layers, I don't know if we'll ever get to a point of getting this done. And that's what I'm concerned about. Just based on today's discussion now, whatever the group decides, I'm going to put aside my personal opinion and accept the group's position as if it were my own and do my best to make it the best decision.

**44:44**

But that's just based on my experience. I just wanted to lean in with that. Thank you.

**44:51**

Thank you so much. Ben.

**44:53**

Yeah, I just put on my recommendation. You have one chair who's going to interact, interface with LADC staff as well as CCF staff and the state in terms of making sure we're running these meetings effectively, that we're producing, that we're documenting progress, that the meetings are well run and well facilitated. I think you need the other two folks to assist with the facilitation. One person can have a vice chair role of focusing on the external dynamics of the work, connecting with speaking to other entities to Salcedo's point right in terms of industry type set or being able to communicate interface. And then one person, another vice chair that deals with the internal dynamics of the HRTC and making sure that the voices are being represented as agendas are being planned. If there's an interface opportunity onboarding if necessary. I think three chairs and then you can have a chair that rotates.

**45:47**

This is expected to be a three year initiative. It could be a nine month or twelve month opportunity and then you could have new elections or rotate positions. Let's keep it very simple. I don't think it needs to be super complicated. This is the group that's supposed to make things happen, not those three individuals. This entire steering committee is tasked with making sure that this entity works.

**46:14**

Thank you Ben. Thank you. Does anyone else have any comments? I would like to move forward but it does sound like there somewhat is a liking for one chair, two vice chairs without specific representation of an industry that does rotate on a certain month or year basis. So if we have that direction then what we can do is take all the feedback in regards to the roles, responsibilities and commitments. We'll create a document, we will share this document for your review, take any feedback on that Google document. Those commitments and roles will then be included on a submission form that will be released to our steering committee. Whoever wants to apply to be a chair or vice chair will submit their submission form. We will then send through email a poll where you all can then vote in who you would like to choose for these roles.

**47:25**

And so we do want to say that a lot of the work that does entail within the steering committee will be done through email updates. And we do want to just really encourage everyone to participate in the different documents, different polls that will be sent through email that allows us to then be able to just get the direction we need to move things along. So as of now, I think that's the direction that is being given. Zahir, if you'd like to give your thoughts prior to moving to the next item. Thank you, Scarlett. It's not on this. I think you summarized that beautifully, and it's a great direction. My comment is just on the polls and any email type of feedback that needs to happen. And I am wondering if we can agree on the type of notice that we're given, because there's a time period that's a little bit too short to be able to review things.

**48:16**

But I understand that we want kind of like a quick turnaround. And so 48 hours I think is helpful. 24 hours feels a little bit too short to me, but I don't know if anyone else has any thoughts, but I wanted to flag that issue just to kind of get ahead of it. Thank you. Yeah, what we can do today is I can come up with a timeline that includes a 48 hours notice specifically for sharing these documents, receiving the feedback, and then having the submission, self nomination submission, and then the voting. With that 48 hours time frame, I think we will be able to meet or have the next chairs be elected by the next committee meeting. So we'll work on that timeline and sending everyone an email by tomorrow with those specific dates and the specific action items that are required. And so moving up next, this potentially could be a lengthier conversation.

**49:19**

We do still have more items to get through, but we can also take a lot of your feedback through a Google Doc that I am actually going to be sharing right now. Give me 1 second. I'll share that instead of the

Jamboard, because jamboard is restrictive. But we do want to go ahead and get your feedback specifically on the steering committee bylaws our partners out in the southern Board and Coalition. HRTC has actually created their own bylaws. It's a really great document and a really great template that we've shared for the past two steering committee meetings, I mean, HRTC meetings. And I hope some of you all had the opportunity to review. Here are some items that we think are really important in regards to establishing within our own bylaws, such as our Mission Statement attendance requirements, as you all have brought up previously, the Mandatory Participation Guidelines, what it means to remove a steering committee member from their seat if they're not meeting their specific commitments.

**50:21**

Recusal from decisions that may be of conflict of interest. Also, if there is an appetite for alternate designated representatives, seeing that I know a lot of you all have very busy schedules, but that might be an opportunity to have an alternate designated representative on your behalf. Our voting mechanism, which through the HRTC, they did select a majority vote for the steering committee, but also really understanding how do we break a tie if there is a tie. So in the chat, I did go ahead and drop a link to the google form. We would like to take your feedback in regards to what you all would like to have in your bylaws. And then also I'll drop in the chat the southern border coalition bylaws as well.

**51:21**

Chioma, if you're on the call, can you discuss the issue with spa seven and the potential lack of direct representation?

**51:34**

Okay, sure. Well, hello, everyone. Good afternoon. Yes. So we do have a couple of organizations that are headquartered in spa seven, and I believe they've listed on an onboarding form where you all state, like where you're headquartered and the areas you represent. So I think the organizations we have that are headquartered in spa seven, like, say they represent all of the county, and so we're just looking to have more representation. A couple of organizations that are headquartered in spa seven and that specifically serve the residents in spa seven. So if any of you have your business partners, community stakeholders that are based in spa seven and that serve the residents specifically in that service planning area, if you could please refer them to us if they have not onboarded so we can see if they would like to be a part of this inclusive CERF.

**52:43**

Yes. And then for the labor seats, I'll hand that back to Charles for an.

**52:50**

Oh, thank you, Choma. As you guys know, the issue with labor is still ongoing. We've been in talk with the state just to see where they are with them. It's kind of a tight lip conversation between those two. However, the last call that I had with them, it seemed to be making some type of headway. So labor seems

to be in a position where they're ready to discuss with the HRTC ways to come back to the table. However, we'll still be getting updates from the state as we move forward. But one thing has been clear, is that they would like to only meet with representatives of the steering committee, not all 32 members. So this is why it's very important for you guys to identify the best candidates to represent not only the HRTC, but the steering committee also. And we'll keep you updated on anything as we move forward.

**54:01**

You can go to next slide. Can I just jump in real quick on this? So my concern is they don't want to meet with all of the HRTC. Okay, I get the room. There'd be 32 of us and maybe one or two labor people in a conversation, but if we have to negotiate something or figure something out, we have to move on. That a little quickly, don't we? I mean, the concern of waiting until properly waiting till we have people mean, is this something that a conversation can be had between anybody who's in this HRTC that has a relationship with labor to figure this thing out? I mean, do we have to go through a formal process where they can only meet with the chair and the co chairs? Can't we just have a discussion with these folks? I mean, maybe they don't want to have a conversation with LADC but want to have a conversation with members of the HRTC to get on the same page.

**54:54**

I mean, is that the issue? What's trying to figure out what the problem is? Yeah, I understand your question. Only thing I can tell you is what the state has told me is that they're not interested in meeting with all 32 members. And I heard you say meet with us. Well, who's us? So do you mean all 32? Do you mean a subset? So regardless, they're not interested in meeting with all 32 members for whatever reason it is. So it is important for the steering committee to have some chairs that represent the steering committee. Charles, just to be really clear, this information you're getting to the state, you're not even getting this from labor themselves? No, I'm not speaking directly to labor. Labor is talking with the state. They're figuring everything out.

**55:49**

I'm a little challenged because I talked to Stephen last night about this particular situation, but I'm more challenged that we seem that we're this idea that we have to elect our chairs and co chairs and let those only be the representatives that have this conversation. I think within our membership we have a diverse group of individuals with varying levels of experience and capabilities dealing with labor. And I do believe that within us we have the power to make a decision to identify and assign a group of individuals to handle that based on various experience and capabilities and their relationships with labor and understanding that role. So I don't know that it has to be connected to our election processes, but I do know that Stephen is meeting with said he was meeting with Dee Myers today, and he did meet with the labor representatives. So I think there's a different conversation and a briefing that might be warranted after today's meeting with Dee because he briefed me last night on a little bit that I was glad to hear about.

**57:01**

But I think we have folks in this call that we could designate to be our representatives to specifically deal with that issue, and I think we could probably come to consensus around that.

**57:13**

Well, I agree with you. Even the recommendation of one business, one labor, one CBO, well, there's no labor there, so obviously there would have to be someone else who's more a trusted source within the steering committee and obviously knowledgeable that you could choose however you still should begin your process of choosing your representatives for the steering committee. I remember one call with Jessica Kim, I can't remember she was saying that someone from local government should be at the table. So Kelly LoBianco, probably from Deo, would be a good candidate. However, at the end of the know, this is a decision.

**58:12**

You have your hand raised.

**58:14**

Yeah, I tried to use the chat, but nobody was answering the question. So my question was, are we the only region having problems with having labor join the HRTC? That's a good question. I'm not exactly sure. I haven't been paying attention to the other regions like that. Can you guys do us a favor then? Since Scarlett, especially since you've seen me.

**58:34**

Have spoken with some of the other.

**58:35**

Regions and you've gotten their biologic examples, can you speak and ask them or just email them and ask them, are labor part of their HRTC? And if they are participating, I'd like to get a better feel of who else is dealing with this issue and see if it's just an La thing or if it's a statewide issue, because I haven't really heard that addressed. Hey, Libby, can I ask you a question? What's the purpose of that? Because I really like to know. If we're the only ones having a problem, then perhaps it's our La representatives down here. If all the other regions have labor representatives who have been part of their process and have actually taken part and been voted to be part of their HRTC, there doesn't seem to be a reason why we shouldn't have that same level of participation. That tells me that it's an La thing, it's not a statewide labor representation thing.

**59:19**

And that's what we need to know, in my opinion. We need to have that background.

**59:24**

I know I didn't raise my hand. It's tenUA, and it's just to keep in mind that labor is not just a regional issue. So. Libby. You're right. If we could understand what's happening in other regions, we'll know how connected labor is across the state on this topic and what they're angling for at the state level. I think you're on point, and I do know that Stephen is aware of that. So maybe a briefing from LAEDC's CEO would be valuable because he is aware of it.

**59:58**

Real quick, I'm looking at the CERF site for the Bay Area. It's by organization. All home was leading it. They list their steering committee members. It has the San Francisco Labor Council on it. It also has the UC Berkeley Labor Center, the Building and Trade Council of Alameda County. So they have labor on there. So I'm fine with whoever wants to reach out and talk with them. I say we focus on the things we can't control on, which is what the work we do. We move forward with our work. If labor ever would like to join us, there's seats that we have outlined specifically for them. We'd love to have them, and if they don't, then we'll continue to do our work. If somebody else wants to reach out to them, that's good.

**01:00:39**

Thank you, Luis. Anyone else have their hand raised? Thank you. And Benny did too. But I would say that also, as part of this conversation, let's define labor. Like, who are we talking about? Because there are groups from labor that did apply to be part of the steering committee. And even as Louise was listing that group of labor with another region, I don't know if that's how we're defining labor in La. Because there are groups that would fall within that who likely either haven't been engaged yet or would like to be engaged. So I would like us to be more specific in terms of the labor question, because that could kind of cut across lots of different types of entities. Thank you.

**01:01:26**

Sure. I can probably help a little bit with that right now. Unionized labor. So we know that Kiwa was elected for the affinity hub lead. Also, obviously, on the steering committee. But the unionized labor, La Fed and their affiliates, those are the ones that are out on the picket lines, not crossing picket lines, making negotiations, collective bargaining, all of those. That's what we mean by labor.

**01:02:01**

Thank you, Charles. Because we are restricted in time, if we can please have our fiscal agent provide any updates on their end.

**01:02:10**

I don't even know. Jose or Maria. Are you on the call? Yeah, I'm on the call. Okay. So. My name is Jose. I'm the senior compliance and Operations Officer here at CCF. So I do have a hard time, hard stop at 02:00 P.m. Because I have another meeting and presentation, so I'll try to make it as short and sweet as

possible. We do have a budget modification that was submitted to the state. We did get word that it's been approved, so it's just a matter of time getting that processed. So we'll keep you guys posted on that. The other announcement that we had is in regards to the payments that we need to do for the affinity hub and the table leads. So right now, we're working on getting agreements set up for that in order for us to submit and get it approved so that it can get into your hands so we can start issuing payments.

**01:03:01**

So, again, we're working currently to get that process and done as soon as possible. The other item was also we're working on trying to get some written policies and procedures in regards to not only the CBOs, but the participants stipends. So there are some documentation standards around those payments. So we want to make sure that we're in compliant and we're keeping on top of that and be able to share that information with you all in order to make sure that we get that information in your hands properly in order for us to be able to administer and cut checks properly. And then the last item that I had is the research RFPs. We've been working with Charles and team to get those going. So the timeline as of right now is we did release the RFP on August 10. For those three research RFPs, we did have a proposal conference.

**01:03:56**

We did have a submission deadline. That was on the 5 September for review. We did put a timeline of September Eighth through the 15th to review and score with the intent to send out notification award letters to Folks. On September 20, we didn't receive an application for one of the RFPs, so we're trying to find workarounds that are going to allow us to be able to contract with Folks or get that work in without having to necessarily reprocur. So working with the state on seeing other workarounds around that, and that's it for me. I know I have about a minute to go, so I'll try to answer questions, but I do have to leave.

**01:04:44**

At 02:00 P.m.. Jose, Kevin has asked a question about payment terms for the affinity hubs. I don't know if you addressed that or not. Can you answer that for him, please?

**01:04:54**

Yeah. It's going to be based on payment structure. You'll see it on the agreement as right now, we're still finalizing that payment structure, but it'll definitely be outlined as a payment schedule in the agreement.

**01:05:09**

Thank you, Jose. And then I believe we have Sharon asking if the proposed budget modifications can be shared with the HRTC and the steering committee.

**01:05:18**

Not sure I'll need Charles to answer that again. I don't know how that entails or how that works. We have the information. I honestly don't know how that works, so I'll give it up to you guys. If I get guidance, we



can release that. Yeah, well, everything in the HRTC is transparent, so we'll find a way to post it, the state clears it.

**01:05:48**

Okay, Jose, I know you do have to leave. If there are any other questions, we can go ahead and email them to you and we'll email the HRTC with the answers.

**01:05:59**

Thank you. I appreciate you guys. Sorry I have to leave. Nice seeing everybody. Thank you, Jose. Appreciate it.

**01:06:05**

And Kevin, I'll be sure to send your question to Jose so that we can get answer from him.

**01:06:14**

Not that labor hasn't been contentious enough, but one more issue dealing with them for the eight table partner leads. It may be a decent gesture if one of those table partner areas can be reserved for unionized labor since they were not available for the affinity leads. However, again, that is just suggestion. At the end of the day, you guys make the decision, we can move forward to the next one HRTC partner meetings. Scarlett.

**01:07:03**

Charles, just a question on that. Does that relate to a request that labor has?

**01:07:10**

Nope.

**01:07:12**

Okay. I do think that as we're planning these pieces out. One strategy could be to have the conversations with them to figure out what they want, and then we can then have the discussions about what it is that is going to help form a good relationship. But continuing to craft out spots and slots for them and different opportunities when it's not something that someone has asked for or wants means that we are stuck in positions where we have an infrastructure that is built in. Such a way that it has gaps in it. Because we've created gaps to accommodate something that doesn't want to be accommodated in that way. That's the concern I would raise about that.

**01:08:01**

Yeah, that's a valid concern. And the meeting that we had with the state was about three weeks ago. I

mean, the question I flat out asked has labor discussed what it would take to bring them back to the table? And they had no comment at that point. So again, I'm just as clueless as you guys are. These are just suggestions that are just coming down the line as we move forward, knowing the goals and objectives of CERF. And again, they're just suggestions. Luis, you're on mute. Quick question. Are these meetings open to or at least open to other members for them to kind of watch? I understand they can't vote, but if not, then can I recommend that we do that? I don't like the idea of us just kind of meeting without even allowing others to see our discussions or the things we're seeing.

**01:08:59**

So if there may be a way for us to set meetings are you talking about this one, Luis? Which meetings?

**01:09:07**

Yes. Previously noted on an earlier slide. We will be posting transcribing meeting notes and providing transcriptions on the websites for everyone to see.

**01:09:16**

No, I'm saying no, but as the invite. So we have our standing meetings for the steering committee. I think it would be fair to open it up to all the other members of the HRTC if they wanted to observe.

**01:09:29**

I think that's for the membership, but we are very restricted on time and we have a lot of interruptions and questions and we do need to get a lot of work done. And that's kind of, I think, where we do have issues. But we will be, again, recording transcribing and putting meeting notes for everyone to review.

**01:09:48**

I agree with Scarlett. We would never get anything done. I mean, you look at our Friday meetings as it is. That's the purpose of the Friday meetings that we have, which I guess are not going to be monthly, but the reason why they elected us and voted us is so that we could have this time to be focused. On the agenda items and the things we need to get through and then to report back to them if we invite them to even be observers, especially since we fought so hard not to make it a webinar, so that they actually can take themselves off mute and have conversations that's just going to slow us down. Luis, in my opinion, I don't think we need to invite them here, but of course, like she said, everything is transparent. They can read it all, they can see in the videos, but not to be invited to be part of the actual meeting conversations, it's just my opinion.

**01:10:27**

I think there was objections to having the HRTC become a webinar, but I think you could still have this be a webinar. I'm fine with them. Again, we look at our Friday meetings, the vast majority of that meeting is literally just presentations. It's not us going back and forth looking at items. It's just presentations. So I

don't believe it's going to cause too much of a problem. I just think if I wasn't on the steering committee, the fact that I can't even attend or watch would be a watch. You can watch the recording afterwards. Just look at it if you were on. I'm not trying to be a smart ass. Honestly, Luis, I'm not trying to be a smart ass, but honestly, I think that'll just further slow us down. I mean, if you even look at today and this 1 hour we've already gone over five minutes, and it took us this long just to really get a better how would any one of us who are sitting here feel if were told that you can watch the video and afterwards I would feel completely okay with it because I'm not a member of the HRTC.

**01:11:28**

How are you not a member of the HRTC? I'm sorry, I'm not a member of the steering committee. You're not a member if I'm not a member of the steering committee, I'm a member of the HRTC, and I didn't run for or I wasn't elected to be part of the steering committee. I would expect a report out during the monthly meetings, or if I was so engaged and wanted to do so, I would go to the CERF website and I would go and either view the recordings or I would read the transcript. And so if I saw something that concerned me, then I'd make my voice heard to one of the steering committee members or the chair so that I could let them know. But I don't think I need to see it or have access to it in real time to be able to have the ability to have feedback on the process.

**01:12:16**

I'll agree. Disagree.

**01:12:18**

Thank you so much, everyone. I do want to be sensitive. We have a lot of folks that are already leaving the meeting, and I don't think it's right if we continue on. In regards to HRTC partner meetings, they will be once a month. And part of our suggestion is to have the chair of the steering committee participate and give updates on behalf of the steering committee in these HRTC partner meetings. But other than that, unless. Charles, you have any more input? I believe that does conclude our presentation for today.

**01:12:52**

We'll probably need to conclude it since everyone is leaving. So we'll just be prepared for the next meeting and thank you all. Please send any emails if you have any questions.

**01:13:05**

Charles, for you and Scarlett go. Could I make one more request, please? Can we see Orange County CERF to know their labor representation? Because they also have councils and trades of Orange County. It'll be interesting to know.

**01:13:23**

Well, nothing can be decided on this.

**01:13:25**

No, no. If we could just get that just info only so we could analyze that for the next meeting or you could send it out to us, either one.

**01:13:38**

I'll come up with something.

**01:13:40**

I can put the link in the chat to it just so you want to yeah, no, absolutely. That's good. Chioma you could do that. That's great. It's in the chat you can click their link and I believe on that site you can see the makeup of their steering committee. Okay, perfect. Yeah. That's all I'm asking.

**01:14:00**

I'm sorry. I understand now. Okay. All right.

**01:14:05**

Yeah. And if you need the links, any others, you can send me an email and I can find you the link or the main one to OPR site that gives the link to all the regions. Thank you. Bye.